Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Long Lost Friend #2

Have you ever met a person so completely different and unique that you knew you'd just met a singular, one-of-a-kind individual? I've met people like that. They cannot be analyzed, stereotyped, or predicted, and they remain fascinating as long as you know them.

A few years back I found a rhododendron that is the plant version of the above. Sunstone came into my view on one of my sister-sojourns to Whitney Gardens. A sunshine yellow low bloomer with a twist! Deep in the yellow bell is a rich burgundy throat, hidden from view unless the viewer gets close and intentional. And to lure the viewer close, Sunstone puts out some surprise petals outside the bell, each with a splash of the same intense red. Some master painter has surely been at work here!


After the first year, Sunstone did not reappear. I looked for him but he was nowhere to be found. I concluded that my voracious western red cedars had likely choked the life out of him. And to make matters worse, Whitney didn't list him in the catalog this year.

In another one of my gardens was an unknown rhodie trying to recover from the ravages of cedar-choking. I clearly remember finding this unknown plant, almost lifeless and near death, and moving him to a new garden area to give him a chance at life. This year he gave forth his incredible blooms, and to my joy, I was reunited with my friend. What a reunion we had! Like the prodigal son, my Sunstone has come home to bless me.

No comments:

Post a Comment